Search | Recent Topics | Hottest Topics

Jump to bottom of page  |  Register / Login  |  Desktop view

User Forum » Difficulty Updating firmware from 2.0.1

Author: cbWarren
21/12/2020 06:40:32
My issue might simply be the connection. I am using a standard data cable to serial adapter. Is there some special crossover used for the AN to computer cable?
Port set up to Com1 and 38200 baud on AN and computer.
Argonaut loads and when I connect, I don't receive any error messages and get "Welcome to Argonaut".
Turn on AN with Exit button depressed and it shows "boot loader 1.0.2".
I use the "Transfer" file menu and locate the appropriate file for the firmware update.
The next line reads Information: 3882804 bytes to transfer - then after a short pause "closing opened file" and "Terminating Transfer"

I saw in the manual that you can type a "?" and "enter" to confirm connection, but I can't seem to type anything into the window.

Author: wildcard
21/12/2020 16:38:50
Hi Charlie,

Seasons Greetings!

Is this the affable Charlie Warren of Amateur Astronomy Magazine who was down here for the OzSky event in 2009?

I hope you have been keeping well. smilie

cbwarren wrote:My issue might simply be the connection. I am using a standard data cable to serial adapter.

In all probability, that will be your problem.

There is no such thing as a "standard data cable to serial adapter". There is no industry standard.

The RJ socket pinouts on the Argo Navis serial port and the set of connections inside the D-connector are custom designed by us.
They were carefully chosen to mininize the chance of damage should a user accidentally plug a serial cable into an encoder port.

Though serial cables for other devices may look similar, chances of them being wired the same way are small.
There are something like 24 different permutations on the RJ plug alone. Then the RJ plugs at either end can be wired in two different orientations.
Then the multiplicity of possible connections from the RJ socket at the back of the D-connector to the D-connector pins makes the chance of plugging in
some arbitrary cable and it working impossibly slim.

In fact one has to be careful. If one uses the wrong serial cable, it can cause a short, possibly damaging the unit and/or PC.

What you want to make sure you have is the genuine Argo Navis Serial Cable :-
https://www.wildcard-innovations.com.au/ser_cbl_describe.html

These can be ordered online from here :-
https://www.wildcard-innovations.com.au/purchase.html

If you need frther assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us at sales@wildcard-innovations.com.au

Author: cbWarren
22/12/2020 04:40:59

wildcard wrote:Hi Charlie,

Seasons Greetings!

Is this the affable Charlie Warren of Amateur Astronomy Magazine who was down here for the OzSky event in 2009?

I hope you have been keeping well. smilie

cbwarren wrote:My issue might simply be the connection. I am using a standard data cable to serial adapter.

In all probability, that will be your problem.

There is no such thing as a "standard data cable to serial adapter". There is no industry standard.

The RJ socket pinouts on the Argo Navis serial port and the set of connections inside the D-connector are custom designed by us.
They were carefully chosen to mininize the chance of damage should a user accidentally plug a serial cable into an encoder port.

Though serial cables for other devices may look similar, chances of them being wired the same way are small.
There are something like 24 different permutations on the RJ plug alone. Then the RJ plugs at either end can be wired in two different orientations.
Then the multiplicity of possible connections from the RJ socket at the back of the D-connector to the D-connector pins makes the chance of plugging in
some arbitrary cable and it working impossibly slim.

In fact one has to be careful. If one uses the wrong serial cable, it can cause a short, possibly damaging the unit and/or PC.

What you want to make sure you have is the genuine Argo Navis Serial Cable :-
https://www.wildcard-innovations.com.au/ser_cbl_describe.html

These can be ordered online from here :-
https://www.wildcard-innovations.com.au/purchase.html

If you need frther assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us at sales@wildcard-innovations.com.au

Yes - I am one and the same - thanks and I will order the AN serial cable today. I am not that lucky that I would randomly get the cabling correct. I happened to have one that I used in the past to connect with a Losmandy mount.

Search | Recent Topics | Hottest Topics

Jump to top of page  |  Register / Login  |  Desktop view