Search | Recent Topics | Hottest Topics

Jump to bottom of page  |  Register / Login  |  Desktop view

User Forum » AN won't initialize

Author: jeffxhall
02/12/2020 09:54:45
Hi all,
I powered on the Argo Navis after a few years of sitting on the shelf. Each box(?) lights up but no letters/words are displayed. I tried to install the latest firmware (I think I have 3.02) but that failed (can't get to the Bootload screen). New batteries including the 3v coin battery. Anyone every run into this situation?
Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Author: wildcard
02/12/2020 17:26:38
Hi Jeff,

Sometimes when users have not used their unit for an extended period, they inadvertently have left AA batteries in there that can leak or vent.
A lot of enthusiasts are dusting off scopes during the COVID crises they haven't used in a while, so they are coming across issues such as leaving batteries in gear, or mirror aluminization, and so on.

You might want to check if there was any indication of a battery having leaked or vented. White residue or staining in the battery compartment, or corrosion on the battery terminals are a tell-tale sign.

If the alkaline material makes it way onto the circuit board, it can etch circuit traces and metal component leads over time.

If the unit does not start in BOOT LOADER mode when fresh AA batteries are installed, it indicates something is seriously amiss.

Email sales@wildcard-innovations.com.au and we can advise on weighing up issuing a Return Material Authorization (RMA) and shipping the unit for inspection
against purchasing a new replacement. How many years of service the unit has already given you may play a part in that decision.
The US Dollar is strong against the Australian Dollar at the moment so a new unit including shipping can be picked up at a bargain price.

But having the current unit inspected is also an option to consider, so drop us that email.

Author: rtclemen@gmail.com
22/02/2021 10:27:05
I was having the same problem, but it turns out that I was trying to use the AN when it was too cold. Exactly the same behavior. Warmed it up, and everything's fine.

-BC

Search | Recent Topics | Hottest Topics

Jump to top of page  |  Register / Login  |  Desktop view