[Logo] Argo Navis Users' Group
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Help with debugging RSS feed
Forum Index » User Forum
JohntheLast

I brought up the Argonaut software (2.0) and it initializes on the PC and produces a 1:Welcome to Argonaut message but I can't seem to communicate with the device. If I try to put it into boot mode and transfer the new release nothing happens as well. I just get message that say Terminating Transfer. Running on Windows 10. The serial port monitor shows a successful write but no response.

Any thoughts on how to debug further.

I've checked the cables and they seem right. It was hooked up via a stack, but I bypassed that and hooked it directly to the computer and got the same response.
wildcard

[Avatar]

Thanks for the post.

The Argo Navis User Manual is available here :-
http://www.wildcard-innovations.com.au/documentation.html

It has a wonderfully written section starting on page 168 under the sub-heading "Establishing communication".
If you have not done so already, I recommend you work through it step by step, including examining the Windows
Device Manager to determine which COM port Windows actually assigned to your serial port or USB Serial adapter.
It also details, including with screenshots, of how to change the COM port assignment to be in the range 1 through 4 if need be.

It is important to keep in mind that just because Argonaut might allow you to connect to a COM port without complaint. it does not
necessarily mean that COM port exists. Likewise, if you see a flashing block cursor in the Argonaut terminal window area, it does not denote
a successful connection.

It is also important to ensure that you are using the proper Argo Navis to PC Serial Cable. Others might look like it, but can be wired
completely differently and therefore will not work.

I noted a similar question appeared on the Cloudy Nights forum today. Due to some of the fine print terms and conditions there, we
choose not to participate on that forum.

The best possible advice can either be provided by contacting us by email or phone directly or by asking a question here.

Gary Kopff
Managing Director
Wildcard Innovations Pty. Ltd.
20 Kilmory Place
Mount Kuring-Gai NSW 2080
Australia
Phone +61-2-9457-9049
wildcard@wildcard-innovations.com.au
https://www.wildcard-innovations.com.au
[Email] [WWW]
JohntheLast

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have worked through those step by step actions in the manual. It's only after doing that that I posted the request for information.

As points of more information:

1) One of the symptoms is that I don't see a flashing cursor at all. I do see a non flashing black cursor on the bottom of the terminal page but I can't enter anything into the page
2) The cable that is being used is the one that was supplied from your company via the builder of the Obsession scope.
3) I'm almost 100% sure that the COM4 port that I'm using is the one connected to the unit because if I break the connection I get an error message on COM4 as shown in the manual for that symptom. Also, I have a Serial port monitor that shows the port responding when it's connected and not responding when the connection is broken. Also, when I tested this I only had one port active (i.e. COM4)
4) I'm pretty sure this worked when I upgraded the firmware to the 3.01 level.
5) I also should have mentioned that the argonavis is connected to a stellarcat. I know that it has a different configuration.

BTW, it was probably me who posted that on Cloudy Nights.

Any other thoughts?

I have also tried setting the baud rate in the Argo Navis, port, and program to 38400 and 19200 to no avail.

wildcard

[Avatar]

Are you using a USB and if so, what brand?

If you open the Device Manager and expand the Ports (COM & LPT) section, what COM port number has been assigned to that device?
Is it COM4? If you can make a screenshot, showing the ports that are enunciated in the Device Manager, it would be helpful.

Ignore cursors, blinking or otherwise.

Gary Kopff
Managing Director
20 Kilmory Place
Australia
Phone +61-2-9457-9049
[Email] [WWW]
JohntheLast

The USB is an internal USB port in the MINIX NEO N42C computer that runs the software. Usually I have three USB connections (ArgoNavis, MicroLynx focuser, and DS10TEC camera). For the purposes of this test I disconnected all the other devices so there was only one USB port used (COM4) so that there could be no confusion on which COM port was being used.

If you want a screen shot, I can do that tomorrow, but it will show one Com port in the device manager. It's just a little late in the evening to do that right now smilie smilie
wildcard

[Avatar]

Brand of USB Serial Adapter?

Had you successfully communicated with your Argo Navis using it before, or is this the first time you have used this combination?

Get some sleep and we are here to assist when the time comes. smilie

Gary Kopff
Managing Director
20 Kilmory Place
Australia
Phone +61-2-9457-9049
[Email] [WWW]
JohntheLast

Am I also interpreting the baud rates correctly.

The Baud rate for the Serial 1 to DSC interface on the Servocat should be 19200 and the USB/COM4 interface should be 38400?
JohntheLast

The USB port is under the covers of the MINIX NEO 42C computer. It is listed in the device manager as FTDI. I did use the scope about two months ago and had interfaced Starry Night Pro to the controller in Planetarium mode. I am running Windows 10 version 1909.

I'm going to go back and check all the drivers for the Minix.
wildcard

[Avatar]

JohntheLast wrote:Am I also interpreting the baud rates correctly.

The Baud rate for the Serial 1 to DSC interface on the Servocat should be 19200 and the USB/COM4 interface should be 38400?

When you power up the unit in normal mode, the serial port protocols and Baud rates are determined by whatever they are set to in the SETUP SERIIAL menu.

For interfacing to a ServoCAT the setting is BAUD=19200 STARTUP=servocat

If you wanted to run the check for the % prompt as detailed in the Establishing Communication section of the User Manual,
set the port being interfaced to the PC with a BAUD=38400 and STARTUP=navis.

Whenever you change the STARTUP command, press ENTER or EXIT to make the change and then power the unit OFF and ON to make the new STARTUP protocol to start.

When in BOOT LOADER mode, the settings in SETUP SERIAL are no longer applicable. The only serial port that is then operationally valid is SERIAL1.
It's Baud rate is fixed at 38400. This therefore is the Baud rate at which firmware upgrades take place.

Argonaut works with all versions of Windows including Windows 10.

The USB Serial Adapter we recommend is the Keyspan USA-19HS.

Some have success with adapters using the FTDI chipset but the correct driver is crucial.

Gary Kopff
Managing Director
20 Kilmory Place
Australia
Phone +61-2-9457-9049
[Email] [WWW]
JohntheLast

This may be a stupid question but in the Servocat configuration the Serial 1 port on the argonavis is connected to the DSC port on the Servocat. The Servocat USB port is then connected to the USB port on the PC. That would tell me that there is no direct connection between the argonavis and the PC (although there may be an internal pass through on the Servocat).

For the upgrade process, does the argonavis Serial 1 port have to be directly connected to the PC (i.e. not go through the Servocat)?
wildcard

[Avatar]

JohntheLast wrote:This may be a stupid question but in the Servocat configuration the Serial 1 port on the argonavis is connected to the DSC port on the Servocat. The Servocat USB port is then connected to the USB port on the PC. That would tell me that there is no direct connection between the argonavis and the PC (although there may be an internal pass through on the Servocat).

For the upgrade process, does the argonavis Serial 1 port have to be directly connected to the PC (i.e. not go through the Servocat)?

There is never a stupid question here smilie

When you have that daisy chain of PC <-> ServoCAT <-> Argo Navis, there is no direct connection between the PC and the Argo Navis.
What happens is that the ServoCAT relays requests and responses onto and back from the Argo Navis. So for example, Argo Navis is
responsible for performing all the object offset and tracking rate calculations on behalf of the ServoCAT and that dialog takes place
just between the two of them. Now and then the PC might request where we are at in terms of RA/Dec coordinates and the ServoCAT
relays that request onto the Argo Navis and it then relays the response back to the PC.

For the upgrade process, the Argo Navis must be directly interfaced to the PC.

If the ServoCAT were to see the Argo Navis firmware data, it would not be able to make head or tail of it.

Hence you must use the Argo Navis to PC Serial Cable in conjunction with the USB Serial Adapter. The Argo Navis to ServoCAT cable is wired
completely differently.

Gary Kopff
Managing Director
20 Kilmory Place
Australia
Phone +61-2-9457-9049
[Email] [WWW]
JohntheLast

That was the conclusion that I was coming too. Obvious, once you think about it. I didn't see any reference in the manual (but I may have missed it). If it's not there, perhaps a point should be made (even if obvious) that if you are using a Servocat you may have to disconnect the Serial 1 cable that goes to the Servocat and temporarily replace it with a direct connection to the PC.

BTW, you'll find an order in your stack for the serial cable.

Thanks again for the quick response and help. Your product has made the difference between being able to observe and just sit on the sidelines. I live in a very light polluted area and the ability to GOTO and Tour with the capability that you provide makes the difference between being a participant and being a by stander.

wildcard

[Avatar]

JohntheLast wrote:That was the conclusion that I was coming too. Obvious, once you think about it. I didn't see any reference in the manual (but I may have missed it). If it's not there, perhaps a point should be made (even if obvious) that if you are using a Servocat you may have to disconnect the Serial 1 cable that goes to the Servocat and temporarily replace it with a direct connection to the PC.

BTW, you'll find an order in your stack for the serial cable.

Thanks again for the quick response and help. Your product has made the difference between being able to observe and just sit on the sidelines. I live in a very light polluted area and the ability to GOTO and Tour with the capability that you provide makes the difference between being a participant and being a by stander.

Your Argo Navis Serial Cable shipped by Economy Airmail earlier today.

Good to see you probably tumbled as to the requirement for a direct connection between the Argo Navis and PC when I mentioned
you explicitly need to use the Argo Navis Serial Cable which is different to the ServoCAT Cable.

You may not have been the first to try it via the ServoCAT but you are definitely the first I am aware of from a support perspective,
so it has provided me with another question to ask people and the prompt to add an additional line of text to the User Manual. smilie

Hopefully once your Serial Cable it will all go smoothly.

Thank you for the additional anecdote on how using your Argo Navis is a gamechanger under light-polluted skies. That's really wonderful to hear.

Clear skies!

Gary Kopff
Managing Director
20 Kilmory Place
Australia
Phone +61-2-9457-9049
[Email] [WWW]

Forum Index » User Forum