Search | Recent Topics | Hottest Topics

Jump to bottom of page  |  Register / Login  |  Desktop view

User Forum » Using TPAS to assist with polar alignment

Author: Gordon
05/01/2020 18:56:00
Hi all.
I have a simple query. The manual (Ver:3.0.0) only mentions using the above feature for fork and GEM mounts. Does this mean it cannot be used with Equatorial Platforms? I ask because I don't have access to a east or west horizon and therefore I can't use the drift method for adjusting the EP's altitude. Hence I am hoping I can use Argo Navis to solve my problem.
Regards, Gordon

Author: wildcard
06/01/2020 14:07:16
Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the post.

The GEM and Fork exact align settings allow for a fuller set of TPAS mount modelling error terms, including azimuth and altitude polar polar corrections, which aren't available on the equatorial table mounts.

As you are aware, there is no encoder fitted equatorial tracking axis on equatorial platforms and the ability to locate objects comes about through the innovations of the Equatorial Table Timer.

In effect the Table Timer extrapolates for that missing encoder but at the expense that the table was assumed to be accurately aligned in the first place.

Additional modelling terms would need to be added and significant enhancements made in order to support an analogous polar alignment feature for equatorial tables. The table's equatorial axis
is a third axis in a world of primarily two axis mounts which sets them distinctively apart. So unfortunately such an enhancement is not scheduled in the immediate term.

Author: Gordon
07/01/2020 17:27:27
Thanks for that. It looks like I will need to search for another solution. Regards.

Search | Recent Topics | Hottest Topics

Jump to top of page  |  Register / Login  |  Desktop view